In-line with its objectives to promote, stimulate and publicise the tin industry in Malaysia as well as to help increase its usage in existing or new applications of tin locally, the Board undertakes two major activities, namely;
- PUBLICITY AND PUBLIC RELATION
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
PUBLICITY AND PUBLIC RELATION
Five major publicity and public relation activities undertaken by the Board are:
- Receiving visitors;
- Organising conferences, forums, workshops and dialogues;
- Lending service; and
- Advisory service.
The Board produces three major publications which are distributed to members of the public, industry and its fraternity.
The publications are as follows:
MALAYSIAN TIN BULLETIN
The Malaysian Tin Bulletin is the primary publication of the Tin Industry (Research and Development) Board. It is published once a month in the English Language. The Bulletin serves as a major information source regarding the tin industry. It carries latest news and a review of the tin market, data on supply and demand, and information pertaining to the state of the industry globally. It represents not only as a useful avenue for the dissemination of relevant information on the tin industry as well as acts as a primary publicity and public relations media of the Board.
JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sep | Oct | Nov | Dec
Jan | Feb | Mar | Apr | May | Jun | JuLY
MALAYSIAN PRESS CUTTINGS
The Malaysian Press Cuttings is another important media for the dissemination of latest news and information on the minerals industry. It is a collection of newspaper and other printed media articles reproduced and circulated monthly to those in the industry and others who are likely to benefit from the news coverage.
MALAYSIAN TIN PRODUCTS NEWSLETTER
The Malaysian Tin Products Newsletter is the official publication of the Malaysian Tin Products Manufacturers’ Association (MTPMA). It is published four times a year. The Newsletter carries reports on the activities of the Association and other useful information relating to the tin products manufacturing industry globally.
The Board’s Secretariat receives local and foreign visitors seeking information on mining laws and regulations, investment opportunities, mineral resources and reserves, employment, relevant statistical data and updates on matters and issues pertaining to the development of the industry.
ORGANISING CONFERENCES, FORUMS, WORKSHOPS AND DIALOGUES
In organising the various relevant events, the Board would usually organise them jointly with related industry organisations such as the Malaysian Chamber of Mines (MCOM), the Kuala Lumpur Tin Market (KLTM) and the Malaysian Tin Products Manufacturers’ Association (MTPMA).
On other occasions the events would be organised jointly with relevant Government’s agencies or departments such as the Ministry of Water, Land and Natural Resources (KATS) and Department of Mineral and Geoscience (JMG).
The events are also organised jointly at times with the academia such as Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP), Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM), Universiti Multimedia Malaysia (MMU), Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP), Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, and Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
Some of the major events organised and co-organised by the Tin Board in recent years include:
- 3rd Symposium on Human Capital Development for Mineral Resource Sector 2014, Universiti Malaysia Perlis;
- International Tin Chemical and Solder Conference and Exhibition (ITCSCE) 2015, Istana Hotel, Kuala Lumpur;
- 4th Private Sector Forum on Cooperation in Minerals in ASEAN, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur;
- 11th Asia Pacific Mineral Resource Exhibition and Conference (APMREC) 2016, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur;
- Tin Solder Technology Forum 2017, Renaissance Hotel, Kuala Lumpur;
- Conference on Sustainable and Responsible Mineral Resource Development in Malaysia 2017, Kuantan;
- 4th Symposium on Human Capital Development for the Mineral Resource Sector 2018, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor;
- National Conference and Exhibtion on Mineral Resource and Mineral-based Product Development 2018, Kuala Lumpur; and
- Shot-firer Refresher Courses in 2017 and 2018, Kuala Lumpur.
The Tin Board jointly with The Malaysian Chamber of Mines, maintains a resource center which lends out its collection of books, films, slides, videos and compact discs on the tin industry to Government agencies, institutions of higher learning, financial institutions as well as mining-related bodies and corporations.
Visitors to the resource centre have access to publications and other related materials on the tin mining industry locally, regionally and globally.
The Tin Board provides necessary guidance, ideas and information in relevant matters such as mining investments, mineral trade, industry contacts and networks, R&D collaboration, human capital and other related to the tin industry.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
STRATEGIC R&D COLLABORATION
In its effort to promote R&D in the field of tin, the Tin Board have entered into several Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) to undertake strategic R&D collaborative efforts in tin related research programmes;
- Department of Mineral and Geoscience Malaysia (JMG), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and Tin Technology Limited, UK in 2003;
- ITRI Ltd, UK in 2011 & 2017; and
- Universiti Teknologi Mara UiTM and ITRI Ltd, UK in 2013.
NETWORKING WITH LOCAL RESEARCHERS
In 2017, the Tin Board formed the Tin Solder Technology (TST) Researchers Group, a specific research group on solder technology development. Participation is opened to all researches involved in research on tin solder and related fields.
The Group comprises researchers from Universiti Malaya, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Universiti Malaysia Putra Malaysia, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia and Universiti Multimedia Malaysia.
The Group’s objectives are as follows;
- Promoting research and development (R&D) in tin solder technology and related areas;
- Sharing knowledge and expertise as well as research facilities; and
- Organising seminars, workshops and conferences for intellectual discourse on the promotion and advancement of tin solder technology.
PARTICIPATION IN RELEVANT TIN CONFERENCES, FORUM, DIALOGUES AND WORKSHOP
To keep abreast with the development of R&D in tin, Tin Board Secretariat members participate in major relevant events locally, regionally and globally as such:
- 3rdITRI International Tin Forum, from 18 to 20 May 2015, in Shanghai, China.
- ITRI Asia Tin Week, ITRI Asia Tin Summit, 2016 China International Solder Technology Development Forum from 21 to 24 November 2016, in Shanghai, China.
- Briefings on Online Application on the Hiring of Foreign Workers 2017, in Kuala Putrajaya.
- Workshop on Drafting Supplementary Regulations in Mineral Resource Development 2017, in Kuala Lumpur.
- Workshop on Drafting of Modules in Collaboration with Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP), for its Masters Programme in 2017, in Kuala Lumpur.
- Workshop on Unified Public Consultation (UPC) Awareness Programme by Malaysia Productivity Corporation in Petaling Jaya, in 2018.
- Workshop on Reviewing Legislation under Ministry of Water, Land and Natural Resources, in Putrajaya, in 2019.
The Tin Board ‘s Secretariat provides administrative support to the Malaysian Tin Products Manufacturers’ Association (MTPMA) to promote and support the development of downstream tin-based manufacturing activities.
The MTPMA formed in 1989 is tasked with the responsibility of advancing the interests and development of the tin-based products manufacturing sector.
Details on the MTPMA can be obtain from its website.